I recently had a guest stay over at short notice and my apartment was admittedly in a state of disarray. He left with the words “you could really do with a house cleaning service“, words other guests might be too polite to utter but indeed he was right. But how how does one choose the ideal house cleaner? Here are some questions I found important:
- What cleaning products do they use? Some companies seem to want you to buy your own products (which is an added cost for you), while others provide their own products.
- Does the cleaning service use environmentally friendly cleaning products or harsh chemicals? This is particularly important if you have children (or even much loved pets) who might be sensitive to some chemicals. You should also be comfortable the cleaning products won’t stain or damage your property.
- Does the service have insurance? Accidents happen and whose expense will it be to rectify the damage?
- Does the cleaner work for a larger franchise or company or are they a one person business? There are advantages of engaging with a wider brand. They may be able to arrange a replacement when your cleaner is unavailable. Choose a cleaning franchise or company can demonstrate a high level of traning for their cleaners.
- Do they charge per hour or per job? Cost per job offers cost certainty, but you need to be very clear exactly what tasks will and won’t be completed at each visit for it to work successfully.
- Will they give you a free estimate and discuss your requirements before starting? A free estimate is important as it will help ensure you and your cleaner are on the same page.
Although it is early days, I have been very happy with my own local choice of cleaner. She has so far demonstrated that she is polite and efficient and the cleaning products she uses are neither harsh on the environment or my own health.